Thursday, November 25, 2010

You're still hungry???

Apparently, my children who are all still quite young have failed to realize that Thanksgiving Day is the "Great Day of National Over-Eating" in the U.S (which is just fine with me).  They understand the joys of getting together with family, hanging out at Grandpa and Grandma's house, playing with the grandparents' dog, watching cartoons on cable T.V. that they don't see at home, eating a yummy piece of pie for dessert, and playing with the toys in Grandma's toy box.  But, when it comes to sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner, they seem to eat the same or less than any other meal of the year.  There are a couple of reasons I think that this is true.
1.  Holidays are exciting and this can actually reduce the kids' appetites instead of increasing them.  2.  Many of the holiday foods that adults enjoy and serve are foods that are not commonly found on our tables throughout the year.  To the adults, stuffing and cranberry sauce may sound like a delectible delight, but to children this may just seem strange and unappetizing.  

All in all, my children ate quite well.  They enjoyed the fresh fruit and vegetable appetizers as much as any of the main dishes, but none of them ever got anywhere near over-eating.  Of course, I was full as we were preparing to leave to go back home, having had a lovely dinner prepared by my mom, pie for dessert, and an eggnog lattte to top it off.  So imagine my surprise when the first question I get from the kids after getting into the van is, "What's for supper?".  Of all days of the year, this is the last day I would imagine needing to eat more after coming home from feasting, but as it turns out the girls needed a snack upon arriving home.  Good thing Grandmas sent so many leftovers home with us! 

2 comments:

  1. Funny, huh? At least they eat well most days of the year, though. I've given up on trying to force any holiday menus on the kids. I just let them choose what they want and let it be a holiday from having to eat everything that is being offered.

    ReplyDelete