Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day, hitting closer to home

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I haven't given Veteran's Day the time and attention it deserves in the past.  Both my grandfathers were WWII veterans, as was my husband's grandfather, and I've heard snippets of stories here and there about their experiences at that time, but it still all seemed very distant.  We have friends, Rachel and Aaron, who were stationed here in San Diego for quite a few years and Aaron was deployed to Iraq three times in rapid succession during that time.  I'm amazed at the service of Aaron as he was in harm's way so often during those years and the sacrifice of Rachel and their children as they were without their husband and dad so frequently.  I don't know if I ever properly thanked them for this; so, thank you, Rachel and Aaron for all you have given and done for our country.  Our friend Janene is also another individual that has served and continues to serve her country in the military and to her I also want to say, "Thanks".  

But, what really brought this all to the forefront of my mind is that my brother is now serving in the Air Force as a flight surgeon and will undoubtedly be deployed sooner or later.  This has brought the meaning of Veteran's Day closer to home for me because my own little brother is one of these men and women that has chosen to perform this duty of sacrifice and service to our country, thus ensuring that the citizens of the U.S. stay safe and protected in this country that we love so much.  I hope that I will take this federal holiday more seriously in the future and teach my children about its meaning and importance (instead of them viewing it just as a day off of school).  So, thanks Little Bro!  We are so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment