Friday, November 19, 2010

An end . . . and a beginning

Isabella's first day of 2nd grade, this fall.
Transitions in life can be so bittersweet.  Sadness and sentimentality about leaving the familiar and comfortable; excitement and anticipation for the new, and the exciting possibilities of the unknown.  Today was one of those days for me where emotions ran high and I felt the exhaustion from "feeling" so much.  It was the last day of school for my oldest two at their current elementary school which we have come to love and appreciate over the past 2 1/2 years.  The teachers, of course, have made the school what it is: an exciting and fun learning environment for the kids.  The girls have had excellent teachers and have thrived under their tutelage; the girls have made plenty of school friends that they will miss, as well.  This is the part that is hard to leave.
**Up to this point in the post, I have been typing with one hand while breast-feeding the baby, as I so often do.** :-) 


Selah's first day of kindergarten, this fall.
And then, there is the excitement of moving into a new house with a spacious piece of property where the kids can get out more in the fresh air, play outdoors as much as they want, and grow up in the country.  The new school where the girls will attend is also an award-winning and excellent school in a school district that is know for being "good".  I'm sure the girls will do well once they settle in and make friends.  I realize that I'm taking this harder than they are because as an adult, I realize that this transition will probably take longer than either of them realize.  They will have the initial discomfort of being the new kid in class and showing up in the middle of the school year.  They will have to learn routines and rules that are already habitual to the other students.  They will have to try and break into already established groups of friends and forge friendships of their own.  I'm a little nervous for them, but also know that both of my girls are friendly, smart, and kind and will find their way.  I have to remember that even though they are kids, they understand situations in a more complex way than I may give them credit for.  Children are resilient and bounce back.  Thankfully, this is a positive move for our family and a blessing in every way; the "pain" of our transition will be relatively painless in the long run.  I'm so thankful for where we are at and are going.  But, I also know that it is okay for my mommy's heart to shed a few tears in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment