Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Way with Words

Two weekends ago I was listening to the radio program "A Way With Words" on NPR in the van on the way home from Sunday lunch.  The hosts began the program by discussing their favorite opening lines of novels.  Being the somewhat nerdy person that I am with two degrees in Spanish, I always find these sorts of in-depth discussion of language to be fascinating.  Almost as soon as this topic came up, I knew immediately which first line of a book I absolutely love.  Here it is:   

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." (Pride and Prejudice)

Obviously, this quote does not hold the same meaning and social implications today as it did in Jane Austen's time, but nonetheless, every time I read this line it grabs me and instantly drags me into the novel.  My mind is off and running and ready to soak in the dialogue and ambiance of late 18th century England.  When I read an engaging, captivating, and fascinating first line of a novel, I am instantly ready to have the words wash over me and engulf me and allow me to be lost in the joy of reading a wonderful piece of fiction.  

What is your favorite first line of a novel?  
 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE that quote. At the moment I'm brain dead and can't think of my fav. quote..maybe I'll get back on sometime and re-post...but Pride and Prejudice..LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We absolutely love Pride and Prejudice as well - the family favorite! Even Augustus has gotten into it and watches the A& E version with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It was a dark and stormy night..." by Snoopy. Ha,ha. But maybe he never finished the novel? An all-time favorite is Dickens' "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," A Tale of Two Cities. Kind of sums up life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dickens sure summed it up in a short, concise, and straight-to-point way; was an apropo and true first line when he wrote it as well as for today.

    As for Snoopy, well, it would be fun to read the rest of whatever it was that he had to say. :-)

    ReplyDelete