Monday, September 27, 2010

The Young Victoria

This morning, I want to take a few minutes to gush about a movie I watched on Netflix on Friday night.  I love period pieces, stories about the monarchy and all other classes of people during centuries past, movies with ornate costumes and pretty settings, etc.  So, when I was thinking about watching The Young Victoria (2009) on Netflix instant play, I was hoping to see all of the above.  This movie definitely did not disappoint and, for me, exceeded expectations.  The story line follows the path Victoria (the longest reigning British monarch to date) took as a young person to being queen of England, showing the many challenges a young person would face being thrust into such a position of responsibility at a rather young age.  Victoria is played by Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada)  who is herself, British.  I know many American actresses have done successful British accents and played a part very convincingly (e.g. Gwyneth Paltrow in Emma, which I love), but it seems that Blunt is able to play this part with an ease that comes from having grown up in England and understanding a culture with a monarchy from the first-hand perspective.  Rupert Friend (Pride and Prejudice -2005) as Prince Albert is perfectly cast in his role as Victoria's cousin, suitor, and great love of her life.  The historical fascination (which may not be entirely accurate) and glories of the period piece aside, this movie pleasantly surprises by delivering a very moving love story that is not over-romanticized, but rather overcomes many odds to become a successful partnership.  The love scenes (between the married monarchs) are very tastefully done and very much PG, leaving most everything to the imagination - I find this in and of itself, very refreshing.  I heartily recommend this movie if you are looking for an enjoyable evening in at home and want to be left uplifted (and maybe a tear or two in your eye, as well).

http://www.theyoungvictoriamovie.com/

My rating for the The Young Victoria: 
(on a scale of 1-5)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karlie - I found your blog on EverythingMom and I am now your newest follower. Your blog is great and I think its wonderful you've been able to find some time to do what interests you! This is a great movie review... I'm always looking for something new to see that is inspiring and uplifting.

    I would love if you could follow me back at
    http://ourtipsforsaving.blogspot.com

    Happy Monday,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete