Friday, September 24, 2010

Pommes Frites, On a Whim



Yesterday, Arianna and I made French fries for lunch, home-made French fries, not the prepared kind in the frozen section of the grocery store.  While I was looking through the French cookbook and thinking about making French bread, which incidentally I decided to put off until another day when I had more time, I ran across the recipe for pommes frites.  Given that my fridge was looking rather bare, but I had a big bag of potatoes, this sounded rather appetizing.  Not to mention, that once in a while I get a real hankering for something hot, greasy, and salty and this fit the bill.  I peeled, sliced up, and plunged the potatoes into cold water.  Then, Arianna dried them off for me, and I fried them up in hot canola oil. 


For my part, I really ended up enjoying my very unhealthy indulgence, but Arianna, not so much.  Apparently, she likes the shoestring, super crispy fries that are found at McDonalds's (which I also enjoy from time to time), but I thought the home-made version had a nice fresh quality to it and the potatoes were surprisingly sweet, even when fried.  


When Augustus arrived home from work and decided that hamburgers were on the menu for dinner, I offered up another batch of pommes frites as my contribution to dinner. His Kalamata olive burgers were perfectly complemented by my fries and the kids gave a resounding thumbs up for Mommy and Papi's restaurant fare done at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment