Thursday, September 30, 2010

When It Rains, It Pours . . .

. . . today, both literally and figuratively.  We are getting a bit of much needed rain in southern California and I'm completely feeling the effects of sickness that has hit me and my kids.  We have had some kind of virus (or two) circulating through the house for about 4 weeks now that started with flu-like symptoms, namely vomiting, and now a nasty cold accompanied by fever.  The last 3 days, 3 of the 5 kids and I have all been sick.  There are so many things I love about having a big family, and I definitely think the benefits outweigh the negatives, but any kind of sickness is a definite challenge to the bigger family.  It usually makes it rounds with each of the children and many times the parents, as well.  It takes longer to get out of the house.  And the energy necessary to go through this situation can be monumental, at times.  These are a few of my reflections at times like this.  

1.  I have to take the day one step at a time.  I have all sorts of things I want to accomplish, even on days when half the kids are sick, but it doesn't always happen "right now".  Sometimes it is interrupted by finding the 2-year-old in the bathroom having taken off her poopy diaper and attempting to be helpful by wiping the poop out of the diaper into the toilet with toilet paper (this is true and just happened yesterday); 20 minutes later, after an impromptu bath, new diaper, and outfit, I can finally get back to whatever it was that I was trying to do.  I just have to take a deep breath and realize that the laundry and dishes will get done . . . eventually, and that is okay.

2.  When the baby is sick and cries, drop everything and hold her.  The one language a baby understands fully is love and when Dakota needs me, I have to make it a priority, no matter what.  I have a sore back right now from having held her so often in the last few days, but it is worth it knowing that I can give my baby comfort, love, and security when she desperately needs it.  Plus, years from now she will not need or depend on me in this way, so I should enjoy this stage that is so fleeting while it lasts.

3.  My body is capable of more than I think it is.  Even when I have been woken up 5 of 6 times a night for 3 night in a row, I can still do what I need to do to make it through the day.  I may not be at my absolute best, but as long as the kids are safe, clean, taken care of, and do what they need to do that day, then it is still a success.  

4.  I am learning, more and more, to accept help when it is offered.  When I came down with this nasty cold a few nights ago, I mentioned it to my parents and the next day my dad was over with soups, mac n' cheese for the kids, and ginger ale.  I am so thankful to have parents close by that step in and help, especially when I'm feeling rotten.  The next day, he showed up again with a few "extra's " from Costco that he knew I could use and dropped them off.  Then, he ran up to the school and picked up Isabella from school so that I would be able to keep the sick ones at home resting.  More than one friend has called in the last couple of days as well to offer help, as well.  Even if it doesn't fit into my schedule or I already have what I need right then, it is so touching and meaningful to receive an offer of help and an encouraging word (Thanks Laura and Carla!)


5.  I try to keep the end in sight and know that this too shall pass.  


6.  God's grace is sufficient for me at all times.  He gives me what I need to get through tough times and gives me stores of energy and resiliency that I didn't think I possessed.  And in the end, that is what will get me through until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment