Tuesday, October 11, 2011

30 day photo challenge: day 20 - what i read

Wow!  I really like today's topic for the photo challenge.  I always tell my husband that I love words and that I eat them up.  I usually have quite a few different magazines and books going at once.  Lately, I've read Vogue, Ladies' Home Journal, Lady Susan by Jane Austen, am in the middle of Love and Friendship (also a lesser know fragement of Austen's work), read I Thessalonians for the last few days in preparation for Bible study, and am working on The Hole in our Gospel by Richard Stearns (president of World Vision).  
If you are looking for a thought-provoking read that will challenge your heart and mainstream evangelical Christianity in America, I definitely recommend this book.  Stearns recounts his move from being the CEO of Lenox (that makes china, dinnerware, jewelry, etc.) and living the American Dream with much "success" to becoming the president of World Vision.  He took a 75% paycut, he and his wife and their 5 kids moved from the East Coast to the West Coast, and gave up a lifestyle to which they had become accustomed.  They made this move after much thought, prayer, and realization that God was calling them to this big change.  As I read about the difference that comes about in the lives of children around the world from the work that World Vision does, I am touched and also inspired to be part of this process of living out the gospel (not just the easy and palatable parts of the gospel) of Jesus.  One small step my family I have taken towards being purposeful and helping others in a tangible way is to sponsor a child through World Vision.  For just about $1.00 a day, which isn't much a sacrifice for us to give up, we can give a child in another country the opportunity to eat and go to school.  If each one of us took a small step or two towards living out the gospel of Christ more fully in the world, what a difference it could make in reaching others with the love of Jesus.   

Link to child sponsorship for anyone that might be interested:  http://www.worldvision.org/content.nsf/pages/sponsor-a-child?open&campaign=1193512&cmp=KNC-1193512

No comments:

Post a Comment