Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lessons I'm Learning From My Kids: If you don't laugh about it, you'll cry :-)

Today in the parking lot of Target was an absolute blow-out diaper moment, one of those that if you don't laugh about it and its comical nature, you might break down about instead.  Dakota was sick exactly a week ago on Sunday morning and it started with vomiting which ended soon thereafter.  But, the recurring diarrhea persisted the entire week.  I thought we were about done with it until we swung by Target to buy diapers, of all things (the irony!).  My hubby ran in with the older girls who needed to stop by the restroom and then shop for just a few items.  I immediately began to smell a strong, terrible odor after they left and got #5 out of her carseat to check out the situation.  Little D was wearing a cute light pink Anne Geddes T-shirt and a pair of jean overalls with pink rose buds all over them - quite cute, at least until I looked inside and saw what a disgusting sight it was to behold.  Needless to say, she was a mess; in fact, I had to take the diaper off by undoing it while still in the pants and using the pants to pull off the diaper and overalls as one unit because they were both so covered in poop.  I proceeded to drop them on the blacktop parking lot and then use about 5 more baby wipes to clean her up, dropping those on the blacktop as well.  Thankfully, I had the foresight to bring an extra outfit for the just-in-case bad poopy situation (learned from many a situation in the past in which I had not been quite so prepared and the baby rode home in just a diaper covered in a blanket in her carseat until she got home).  I managed to get #5 as clean as possible under the circumstances, re-dressed, and back in her carseat, and then found one spare plastic bag in the van in which to wrap up the offending diaper for the ride home.  The overalls and shirt are presently in the washing machine soaking up a liberal dose of Shout stain spray before receiving a good wash.  I'm sure I was a sight to behold while cleaning up the baby and people were wondering what in the world I was doing.  These are some of those situations that I will remember for a long time to come and laugh about how funny it really was (even if it didn't seem so at the time). 

No comments:

Post a Comment