Monday, January 10, 2011

Tickled Pink

Kids do the funniest things!  Almost every day, my girls do something that has me in stitches at some point or another, even on the most frustrating of days. 

On Friday morning, Livia had a shower and was wrapped up in a towel drying off.  The next thing I know, she has reappeared completely naked except for a pink beret on her head wielding a plastic sword and carrying a small stuffed cheetah purse.  This already has me laughing.  Then, I hear the dog downstairs barking a little and ask Livia if the dog is in her den (kennel) and she says "yes".  I ask her, "Did you put the dog in her den?" and she says "Yes.  Lilah naughty." and points to the purse (which presumably the dog had stolen from her).  By then I'm laughing even harder with the mental image of my naked 2-year-old getting the dog into her kennel by pointing a plastic sword at her, getting the cheetah purse back, and zipping up the kennel door - all while sporting a pink fleece beret that has a white rose on it.  Priceless!

And then this morning while re-entering our driveway after having dropped the sister off at school, I watched Arianna and it made me smile and realize how precious these years of their life are.  Arianna asks me to let her off at the top of the drive so that she can walk up to the house on her own as I follow along.  She starts trotting down the driveway, hair swinging, enjoying the morning sun.  I see a darling 4-year-old still in her pj's (the sleeper type with feet) and rainbow colored rainboots oblivious to the sight she makes just simply taking joy in the moment and what she is doing. 

These are those moments in time that I want to capture in my memory and go back to someday when, once again, I need a good laugh, or maybe a good sentimental cry. 

2 comments: