Monday, January 3, 2011

My Kids' Christmas Decorations

My holiday decorating at this point in my life is decidedly less than glamorous, but I wouldn't trade it for all the glitzy and put-together grown-up decorations in the world.  Making holiday crafts with the girls and proudly displaying them in our home is one of the ways that the kids and I get into the holiday spirit.  It also allows them to be creative, have fun with art and craft supplies, and lets us spend fun time together when school is out.  And, I think that when we decorate the house with homemade items, it is a way for me to show the girls that I love them and their creations.  (I think most moms out there know what I'm talking about - from crayon drawings on the fridge, to school projects displayed around the house, etc.). 

This year the holidays have been a little more challenging for us, but no less enjoyable.  Still surrounded by boxes and a lack of organization, waiting for my stove to arrive (which took 3 weeks), finding multiple leaks in the garage and a few in the house while we waited out days of rain, and adjusting to a house without central air (and needing to wear more clothing indoors than before), we still took the time to spread out our craft supplies, hot glue gun, glitter, stickers, and markers and get down to business.  Albeit a little more frustrating to do holiday "fun" activities in this setting, I realized that time passes us by if we don't stop to take advantage of it.  Our house will get unpacked and in order eventually, but if we don't take time to have fun together, then how much of a home is it really, anyway?  And thanks to the hard work and persistance of my husband, thankfully my new range (that he had to convert to propane) was installed and ready to be used by Christmas day; the Christmas brunch that I had planned for the family was able to take place and was a success - of course, surrounded by the snowmen and snowflakes that the girls had decorated the house with. 




No comments:

Post a Comment