Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lessons I'm Learning from my Kids: Snackitis and It's Cure

Some days it seems like my girls never fill up.  They have had breakfast, a snack, lunch, and then are ready shortly thereafter for a snack, and then want another snack, and are extremely impatient for dinnertime to arrive.   Given, they do play hard and some days they burn a lot more calories than others and are truly hungry, but then there are those times that I am suspicious that they just have a particular not-so-healthy snack in mind.  It is at this juncture that I ask "The Question" to determine what the situation really is.  It goes something like this, "Well, if you are so hungry, then why don't you have a banana (or apple or carrot) to eat?".  If the answer is an enthusiastic "yes" or even given grudgingly, then I can be quite sure that she is actually hungry.  If the answer is, "I guess I'm not that hungry after all" and a turned up nose at the offered snack, then I can be quite sure that a less healthy snack was the true intent.  Now as most anyone who knows me can tell you, I love to bake and make my kids their fair share of treats, but I try to not give out too many right in a row on a given day.  So, "The Question" is definitely one solution to the constant barage of snack requests when if just happens to be "one of those days". 

No comments:

Post a Comment