Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lessons I'm Learning from my Kids: Take Joy in the Simple Things

#2, #3, and #1 at the Wild Animal Park last spring.
As an adult, I seem to often focus in on the "big" things that are going on in my life, week, and schedule.  I sort of brush aside the mundane, every day items as daily tasks and nothing else;  and, then I look forward to the next big event, family outing, or date with my hubby in a somewhat exagerrated way, as if it will bring me more happiness and joy in my week than usual happenings.  There are times in my life that I take joy in the little things more than others, but I find it a temptation to not be fully "present" in my tasks at each step of the way.  This all leads up to my outing last week with my dad (Grandpa) and the 5 girls.

Dad and I decided to take the girls to the Wild Animal Park last Friday because Isabella and Selah were not in school due to parent/teacher conferences.  Of course, as the parent I was thinking of the wonderful and spectacular opportunites that were awaiting us on this outing.  It was a cloudy, overcast day which is a good thing at the Wild Animal Park (as temperatures can easily soar 100 degrees on any given summer day).  Over the years, we have learned to let the kids direct the progression through the Wild Animal Park and Zoo; it is a more enjoyable pace and easier than trying to race from place to place with an unwavering agenda.  Over time using this method, we have managed to see most everything in these two destinations and the girls have had the opportunity to truly explore and discover during these adventures.  Friday was no exception.  The girls climbed through a play log, were fascinated by two hornbill birds that were clacking their very large beaks together, took an extended walk down into the Heart of Africa area and observed many different birds along the way, ate lunch, played at a playground, watched several gorillas out and about, and finally talked with a big, blue macaw while exiting the park.  

On our drive home, I asked each of the older 3 girls what they had enjoyed most that day at the Wild Animal Park. As to what I was thinking, I was betting that they would mention one of the aforementioned activities that had seemed so fun and exciting throughout the day (and I'm sure they were).  But, no, each of them completely surprised me in their answers.  Here is what they said: 

Isabella - "Feeding the Fruit Loops to the ducks" (discovered on a bridge that another child had dropped; probably not an approved activitiy according to the zoo keepers).
Selah - "Eating the strawberries for lunch that Grandma sent along as a surprise."
Arianna"Riding on Grandpa's shoulders."

I realized that my children were enjoying each part of their day for its own intrinsic value.  One activity was not necessarily "better" than another on the excitement meter based on conventional ideas of fun.  They were just taking each moment at a time and enjoying it for what it was worth.  They were being "present" in the moment, which is what we as Christians should be doing anyway, and taking joy in each of God's gifts.  And, they were practicing the truth that all of life is a sacrament (, not just the parts in which we partake at church, but also all of our daily experiences along the path of life.  And hence, the "favorite" activity of each girl was a simple item that stood out to them and they were able to appreciate if for what it really was rather than judge it on some arbitrary scale of what is supposed to be fun or not.  God wants me to teach and guide my children on a daily basis, be He has also given them to me as a gift and blessing and I am learning from them constantly, as well.  

My lesson to remember:  take joy in the simple things; be present in each moment; practice the truth that all of life is sacrament. 

No comments:

Post a Comment