Friday, October 8, 2010

Is the "Terrible Two's" a Misnomer?

As I've been interacting with my two-year-older for the past couple of weeks, I have been thinking that the label "Terrible Two's" should be banished.  Now, I realize that many of you out there will probably disagree with me, which is perfectly fine, and when Livia is at the height of a 2-year-old fit I'm sure that this terminology, also, crosses my mind.  But, like most things in life, we can choose to see the glass as half-empty or half-full.  I would like to think that with my toddler, I am going to choose the latter (or at least attempt to, on most days).  Instead of "Terrible Two's" some alternate and more creative terms that come to mind might be:  "Developing a Will of My Own", "A Time Full of Exploration", "Realizing What I Want and How to Get It", "Honing My Sense of Humor and Being Able to Giggle Nonstop for Minutes on End", "Engaging in Pretend Play", "The Art of Interacting with Those Around Me", and so many more.

Livia turned 2 in July and in the last couple of months, I have really noticed a distinct change in her - from baby to toddler.  She has always been my child that is very sweet-natured.  She is easy to take places, by far smiles more often than cries, and is a definite Mommy's girl.  As she has taken this new plunge into toddlerhood, I have been fascinated, as if watching with new eyes although she is my fourth child to enter into this stage of life.  Maybe having already gone through the inital trepidation of impending toddlerhood several times, the challenges of dealing with 2 and 3-year-old's, and my own familiarity with all of this as a mother has helped me to relax and observe my younger children in a way that wasn't possible for me with my older ones.  In any case, several observations of this age group, the "Tremendous Two's" as I may venture to call them, have come to the forefront of my mind and I will venture to put them on paper (in a manner of speaking).

Checking out the peonies.
Two-year-old's have such a natural curiosity and inquisitive nature that can be a lesson to us as adults.  Livia attempts to understand as much as she can about the world around her, especially when encountering a new object or when she is put into a new setting.  She takes time to smell the roses, so to speak, and allow herself to be immersed in the joy of the moment without worrying about what comes next.  Being two is a time of discovery and experimentation.


Livia has discovered that she if she sets her mind to something and is persistent, then most times she can achieve her goal.  Yes, this does mean that she can be very stubborn, strong-willed, and goal-oriented, at times, but all of these characteristics are really positives for her now and in the future.
At present, when she asks for something and says "Peas (please)" for it about 30 times in a row, it gets a bit annoying, but someday this might help her get a promotion at her job or a better salary than someone else.  I like that she knows what she wants and doesn't want; this will be a good characteristic for her in the future when it comes to dating boys and standing her ground.  

Another 2-year-old trait that I find absolutely engaging and delightful is the developing sense of humor at this age.  Livia has learned how to play basic jokes on her family members, loves anything resembling slapstick humor, and will giggle non-stop when she is tickled or finds something funny.  Any little invented game between the two of us could go on ad infinitum  - it is Mommy that wears out first, never the toddler.  Most adults laugh too little and forget to find pleasure and humor in the little things.  Having a two-year-old, once again, is reminding me of the importance of finding time to smile and laugh in one's day.


I could ramble on about this subject for much longer, I'm sure, but I'll end with this thought.  A popular parenting phrase is, "Pick your battles.", and I couldn't agree more.  So many times, the things I seem to think are important at the moment regarding my kids, just aren't all that important after all.  All my kids have been very picky about shoes as 2-year-olds and it seemed that battles ensued just to get a pair on before leaving the house.  I'm learning just to listen to Livia when she hollers that her shoes are "Ow".  Maybe they don't match her outfit, but she isn't concerned with the fashion aspect of it, so why should I care so much, either.  So these days, seven years into motherhood, I'm telling myself to choose my battles wisely, let things go, savor the precious moments, and breathe in the sweetness emanating from #4, my darling toddler.  Now, to follow my own advice. 

3 comments:

  1. Pics are too cute!! Love the insight too, mama. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing mom Karlie! I can feel your patience in this post :)
    Cooper did not go through the "terrible two's" but rather the "tremendous two's". He was learning to express himself & could be very strong willed but never threw fits.
    Isabella is the complete opposite. She throws a fit over almost everything. She turned 3 at the end of August & this stubbornness & willfulness has only gotten more intense! She is feisty & opinionated. She is independent & precocious... she was walking before she was even 9 mths old! She is the definition of the "terrible two's" in many many ways. However, I too see the benefits of these characteristics when others seem to just see the difficulties. I'm glad for her strong personality but it sure wears me out! She presses my buttons EVERY SINGLE DAY! But through her, God is teaching me patience like I never knew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wonderful mom, Beth, and your children are blessed to have you as their Mommy. It's amazing what a challenge parenting can be, especially to our more strong-willed and precocious children, like your Izzy and my Arianna; but as you said, it teaches patience like nothing else. And, it'll be cool to see what our little firecrackers are like as adults. :-)

    ReplyDelete