Thursday, October 18, 2012

Our First Vegan Birthday Cake

Since changing the way we eat, I am re-learning how to bake using very little fats and oils while also eliminating eggs, butter, and dairy.  Tuesday was my hubby's 34th birthday and I found a recipe for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting in the McDougall's book, The Starch Solution.  The recipe looked easy enough to make and I had Augustus pick up a few ingredients that I didn't have on hand at Trader Joe's on Monday.  Also, the recipe called for a 8 X 8 pan, which I have, but doesn't look very festive.  So, instead I used a bundt pan and it came out beautifully.  The girls loved the results and were happy to see that birthday baking is still alive and well in our household.  So, yay, to our first delicious and successful vegan birthday cake!  I know there will be many more to come.

Ready to begin!

About to go in the oven.

The finished product.

Happy Birthday!

All my favorite people.

2 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday augustus! the cake came out great and i'd love to try some sometime. next time you should set the timer and jump in the pic though! saraya said "where is auntie karlie?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that she asked about her Auntie Karlie. :-) And yes, we'll have to make this when you all are coming over and you can be our taste testers.

      Delete