Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer 2012: Travel Tip #3

Well, despite my best attempts at getting to wifi, it just didn't happen that often during this summer vacation.  Maybe by the next time I try this, I'll have a smart phone (hopefully), and be able to blog on the go.  Anyway, I'm going to put some vacation posts even though we are finally home.

As we were driving on the last leg of our journey, I asked my hubby if we should stop for something (a bathroom break or, maybe, lunch) and he said, "My rule while traveling with the kids is, 'If they don't need to stop, then neither do I'."  After traveling approximately 4000 miles this summer with 5 girls, ages 9 and under, I would have to say this is a pretty solid tip for traveling with little ones.  We definitely stop when they need to: for "potty" breaks, running around breaks at parks or open spaces, meal breaks, etc.  So, when everyone is back in their seats and settled and happy, there is no need to bother them.  We just keep on trucking until the first complaint or request comes and then assess the situation.  Our last day of travel was from Salt Lake City, UT, to SoCal again, just a little over 700 miles.  We made it in almost exactly 12 hours which was a pretty nice accomplishment, if I do say so myself.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. i agree! so glad you're all back safe and sound. can't wait to see you (though it won't be until next month since i'm off to korea for the rest of august...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry we never got a chance to say "hi" in person before you left, but we'll definitely catch up when you get back! I'll have Augustus call Justin so that we can hopefully see he and Saraya for a visit. Have a great time in Korea!

      Delete