Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Super, Simple Sewing Project

We have been contending with the chicken pox now for a couple of weeks, but this weekend it hit all the remaining girls and has since been occupying some of our time.  Thankfully, my oldest two are in school today and my kindergartner seems to be rapidly on the mend.  My girls all had the varicella vaccine, so this whole episode of chicken pox has been, thankfully, rather mild.

A few weeks back, Livia, #4, told me that she would like to make a pretty necklace.  This is the girl that wants pretty dresses, pretty jewelry, shows off her lovely dance moves to the family nearly every day, and gives out the sweetest, darling compliments to us, unsolicited.  I had a nice double-stranded chain that my Mom had given to me and so we trotted off to JoAnn Fabrics to find something pretty to attach to the chain.  We settled on a pack of clearance hearts, a bargain pack of colorful flowers, and jump rings for easy attachment.  Of course, while walking around, Livia spotted the fabric and was oohing aahing over all the beautiful colors and textures of the fabrics.  I saw that a fabric I had used in the past that is pre-made for dresses and skirts was on sale, so I let #4 pick out the one that she wanted and we bought grosgrain ribbon to match as straps.  All this requires on the sewing maching is sewing a few a straight stitches and zigzagging the edges, and "voila", you have a cute dress that was easy as pie to make.  I'm not very skilled on the sewing machine, so this project was right up my ally.  Here is a picture of our finished results.
It's hard to see but Snoopy and Woodstock are on the bottom of the fabric.

1 comment: