Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Week Absent from Blogging

When I blogged last Saturday, I was happy to have several new blog posts in mind and excited to get typing.  Little did I know, our daughter #2 who we thougth had a virus was sicker than we thought.  By Saturday evening, she was running a fever that would not come down with Tylenol and couldn't stop coughing.  When she asked to go to the "hostible", I knew she was really unwell.  I got all 5 girls in the van right after 9:00 p.m. and dashed off the the urgent care which closed at 10:00 p.m. with a 1/2 hour drivve ahead of us.  My hubby was chaperoning at Homecoming at the school where he works and got in his car immediately and drove to meet us.  Selah was seen by the Dr. at Urgent Care, sent by ambulance to the ER (so that she could stay on the oxygen she was using), and was admitted around 2:30 a.m. to the Children's Hospital Ward of our local hospital.  On top of having an ear infection in both ears, she also had pneumonia which was further complicated by her asthma.  We had hopes that she would come home maybe the next day, but her oygen levels weren't up high enough and she stayed until Wednesday at lunch time.  My hubby and I were able to stay with her alternately at the hospital while also taking care of our other 4 girls at home, and a wonderful friend from church came to the house early Monday morning and stayed with our daughters all day so that I could stay at the hospital with our little sickie.  As a mom, it is hard feeling torn beween your kids; I wanted to be at the hospital, but I also wanted the other 4 to feel cared for at home, too.  It was hard for any of us to get much sleep at the hospital between regular checks of vital signs to respitory therapists coming in every 4 hours, from Dr.'s visits daily to medicine to be administered.  We were all extremely thankful to be back home when this short ordeal concluded.  But, through it all there was so much for which to be thankful:
  • Living in a country that has very good health care and medical facilites
  • Having good health insurance and being able to afford co-pays
  • #2 having the opportunity to truly heal and get better in a place where she was well taken care of and given all the tools she needed to get better quickly
  • Kind, caring, and professional  medical personnel at our disposal
  • The many friends and family that took time to pray for Selah's healing
  • God's healing touch and having His hand on us and our daughter during this time
So, I have been gone from my blog for awhile because my brain capacity and physical energy were being expended elsewhere, but thank God, we are back to our usual "normal" routine and I'm ready for a new week of blogging adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment