Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011 - Remembering

Just a quick thank you to all those who have served and do serve in our Armed Forces protecting our country and keeping our freedoms safe here in the U.S.A. 

Both of my grandfathers went to war during WWII as very young men.  In fact, my dad told me that his dad (my Grandpa Schwan) was picked up from school since he had turned 18 and was drafted right then to be shipped out.  My grandpas served in the South Pacific.  My Grandma Ness(who is almost 92) worked on military aircraft in the U.S. wiring the panels on planes.  She has small hands, and so she was able to get into tight places more easily than most men.  My mom told me that Grandma was asked to work on an important plane, wiring it, and that it turned out to be General Eisenhower's plane.  And just last summer, going through some family memorabilia, we found a Japanese yen that my Grandpa Ness had brought back with him as a souvenir.  My hubby was able to piece together most of it with tweezers and used a laminator to save the bill.  So, thanks to my grandparents who set an example of patriotism and service to our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment