Friday, February 4, 2011

Paris on my Mind, Part 1

Every once in awhile, I think back to my time in Paris and feel very sentimental about it and think about how I would love to go back . . . someday.  Paris seems to keep popping up on my radar in one way or another.  It might be in a taste of bread and a sip of a cafe au lait, in a passing conversation where something vaguely reminds me of being in France, in something I read (such as the Vogue that I have started to receive from my airline miles which is rife with fashion references to Paris), or most recently in a conversation with someone else that wants to visit Paris.  Recently, I was talking with a friend's husband and he mentioned that she would love to visit Paris this year which got me excited all over again about this oh-so-famous-yet-fabulous destination.

There have been many times when I've read or heard about a destination that is receiving plenty of hype and yet, when I finally go there, I find myself a bit disappointed with the experience.  So, when I thought of going to Paris for the first time, I wondered if this might be the case, but was sincerely hoping it would not be.  I am here to tell you, that although it may be one of the most visited cities in the world and a place about which much has been written, Paris (at least for me) did not disappoint.  It lived up to my expectations and surprised me in the ways in which it also exceeded them.

Hubby in front of Notre Dame.
A year and a half ago, in July of 2009, my hubby, #4 (the baby at the time), and I took a week long trip to Paris.  For as long as I can remember, I've dreamed of traveling to Europe and Paris was the top of my list for choice destinations. This trip all came about with me griping about the hubby going on trips for work, etc., and me staying home with the kids (it sounds silly, I know, given how many blessings I have in my life here in the U.S., but this is the truth nonetheless).  I told him I was ready to go on a trip myself and he asked, "If you could travel anywhere this summer, where would you go?".  To which I responded, "Paris".  That being said, he hopped right on the computer and began searching for flights and continued to do so until an absolutely mind-boggling, cheap fare came up one night and he bought the tickets on the spot (having, thankfully, already alerted his parents to this possibility since we would be leaving 3 kids at home with them).  To make a long story short, we flew to Paris in July on our 8th anniversary; fairly romantic, if I do say so myself, as we arrived in the City of Lights, well-known as a romantic destination.

#4 at the Louvre in front of a Monet.
As I write this, my mind is flooded with so many memories, that I see I will have to write Part 2 as my next post because this topic is so extensive.  During our week in Paris, we walked to exhaustion to see famous churches, graveyards, museums, monuments, and locations, but I think we also struck a good balance of just savoring the place we were in and enjoying the mundane moments as well.  On our last night in Paris, we went to dinner (and walked up the stairs to the Eiffel Tour at 11:00 p.m.) in the St. Germain neighborhood that is hopping at all hours.  As we sat there having dinner, Augustus told me to stop and just remember the moment.  He said that we would obviously be going back to our regular, busy life filled with not-so-leisurely moments, but that we would always be able to stop, hold hands, look at each other, and say, "Remember that night in Paris when we were having dinner . . . ".  And he was right.  Every once in awhile, we'll sit down, have a cup of coffee, and say, "Remember when . . . " and share that memory of togetherness in a different, far-flung destination.

The 3 of us in front of the Sacré-Coeur Basilica
So, when I think of Paris these days, I have two "goals" (if they can be called that) in mind.

1.  Someday, far in the future, I would love to go back to Paris (when my children are grown and not along with me) and not do the touristy things like museums, destinations, and monuments.  Instead, I want to spend a week just strolling, meandering, taking my time, and smelling the roses.  Stopping for a coffee, grabbing a crepe to go, munching on a jambon et fromage paninin in the sun while taking in my surroundings, and doing whatever it is that strikes me on a whim.

2.  I've told the girls that my goal is to take all 5 of them with us on a family Paris trip when #1 is 17 and a senior in high school, and #5 is in 5th grade.  It will give us time to save up for it, the girls will be old enough to appreciate it thoroughly, and all the family members will be mobile and able to take care of themselves (for the most part).  It's a lofty goal, but worthy of making.    J'adore Paris!

2 comments: