Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mary, Martha, or a bit of both?

This past weekend was definitely a Mary weekend for me.  For those of you familiar with the Gospels in the New Testament, I am referring to the sisters Mary and Martha that were friends of Jesus.  In one of the many times, I'm sure, that Jesus was a guest in their home, Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet listening to Him and just soaking up all that was going on around her while her sister Martha was fussing about the details (dinner, Mary not helping out, etc.) of having a guest in her home.  Jesus gently admonishes Martha and tells her that she doesn't need to be worried and upset by so many things, but that really only one thing is necessary - being in relationship to her Lord.  It's not that the things that Martha was doing were bad - in fact, they were good and necessary - but that which Mary was doing was better.  I think that this is so applicable to my everyday life.  There is always a balance that needs to be struck between all the chores and tasks that need to be accomplished and the things that need to be experienced in that given day, opportunities to love others and thus love God in the process.

So, as I first stated, my past weekend struck me as being more Mary than Martha.  My house ended up looking like a complete disaster for a few days and the chores went almost completely neglected, but in exchange we spent a lovely day at the beach marveling at God's creation, the girls were thrilled at their train ride to the beach on public transportation, we had a lovely morning at church on Sunday, lunch out with friends afterward, and several extended Valentine's making sessions at the diningroom table throughout the weekend.  God keeps showing me that I love Him by investing my time and energy into loving those around me and being in relationship with them (not that I always do this well or willingly, but I am learning nonetheless). 

Of course, Monday and Tuesday have been spent in more of a Martha mode in attempts to bring some sanity back to the homestead and make room for the necessities like counterspace for cooking and a clearer diningroom table at which to eat meals.  It is apparent that without some of this daily or near-daily organization and profitable work around the house, most other activities would become nearly impossible to achieve over time.  The day-to-day tasks of our life are good, meaningful, and part of what God has given us to do.  But, when an opportunity arises to pause and be present in a relational moment, it is so important to grasp that and jump in feet first without being distressed and obsessed with "all that still needs to be done".  Some of these moments today for me were stopping to have a cup of coffee and chat with my mother-in-law out in the morning sunshine, helping my 2-year-old and 4-year-old plant their mini pots with strawberry seeds, making the girls a pot of tea in #3's "old-fashioned (porcelain)" tea set, painting a few sets of finger and toenails, and tickling a giggling baby. 

I'm both a Mary and a Martha, as are most of us, some more than the other depending on the day.  But in the end, I think it is so important to remember the Lord's words to Martha on that day (found in the Gospel of Luke).
 
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment