Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday Night Dinner: Bang Bang Chicken

A while back I got this recipe from a facebook friend, Lisa, who has lived and sojourned to and from many places.  Since then, I've made this recipe several times and enjoyed it thoroughly each time.  The only change I make is to double the ingredients (up to the end of the sauce ingredients) and and then to saute the vegetables separately (I don't really measure this out; I just fill a big saute pan with whatever I have on hand) and serve them on the side. 

Bang Bang Chicken (from China)

In wok or frying pan, stir-fry briefly in 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil (preferably peanut - I use olive oil instead), until chicken is cooked through:

1 whole chicken breast, cut in strips
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t ginger root grated, or 1/8 t. ground ginger
1 scallion, chopped in 1-in. pieces

Add:  
1/4 c. water
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. peanut butter
1 T. red wine vinegar

 Simmer 5 minutes.  Add:
2 c. broccoli florets (Last night I used less broccoli and added onions, mushrooms, and Savoy cabbage)
1 cucumber, sliced


Cook until vegetables are crisp tender, about 7 minutes.  Serve over rice.
  

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're enjoying it as much as we do! Did I mention it's from "Extending the Table" cookbook? There are lots of great international recipes (and anecdotes) in there. You'd enjoy reading it (and cooking from it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out! Sounds like a wonderful cookbook to read and cook from. :-)

    ReplyDelete